1.22.2012

Summer Salad

So this is about the time that everyone's New Year's resolutions start flying out the window! For some reason, my resolutions were not even made by the time January 1st came around. I hadn't even thought about it. So, for the past few weeks, I've been thinking about what I really want to do this year. Looking back, the times that I've felt the healthiest, are times when I've eaten heatlhy. However, I LOVE GOOD FOOD! (I'm like my Nanny.) I've determined that the trick is to make healthy food yummy! My mom is the salad Queen! She's got me hooked! My favorite thing is to make a good salad, add some shredded chicken, and Enjoy! These are great lunches, dinners if you've had a bigger lunch, or just want to eat lighter.
                            
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon of dijon mustard
  • 2 Tablespoons of honey
  • 3/4 cup oil (vegetable, canola, safflower, olive - whatever you prefer)
  • salt and pepper
  • spinach, field greens, romaine lettuce (any of the three)
  • Dried Cranberries are a must!
  • Toasted pecans add a nice crunch!
  • One of these cheeses: goat, feta, or gorgonzola
  • Any of the following fruits:
  • strawberries
  • blueberries
  • pears
  • mangos
  • apples
This recipe will make 1-2 cups of dressing. This should be enough to cover a dinner salad for 2, put enough in a small tupperware for a salad to take to work the next day, and be able to bottle the extra to give to a friend or save for later. (It keeps well if it has a closed lid :)

For the dressing, combine and mix well
(I love my emursion blender from cuisinart):
  • rice wine vinegar
  • dijon mustard
  • honey
  • pinches of salt and pepper (you can add more to taste)
  • Gradually add oil as you're blending the other ingredients.
For the salad: 
  • Use Romaine Lettuce, field greens, or spinach(better for you) or mix the three. (Use a large handful or two for each person depending on how much you want or if this is a full meal or side salad)
  • Add a few handfulls each of any combination of the following fruit: strawberries, blueberries, pears, mangos, apples.
  • Sprinkle on some cheese that you like: gorgonzola, feta, or goat are best!
  • Dried cranberries are a must!
  • Crumbled toasted pecans add a nice crunch.
  • Cook a few chicken breasts in light seasonings/salt&pepper. Shred them into bite size pieces to top the salad off and make it a meal. Leave the chicken out for a nice side salad. (For some reason, the chickent tastes better shredded :)
Think about combining these ingredients into a tupperware to take to work tomorrow (That way lunch is already made! And it's healthy!)


This is one of my favorite salad recipes out there! It's so refreshing with delicious fruit and a light yummy honey mustard dressing that makes it delectable! Please let me know if you have any comments or questions! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment